[vdr] Multiple frontends on a single PCI card

Rene Bartsch ML at Bartschnet.de
Tue Oct 10 22:29:45 CEST 2006

> Hi,
>
> Some background:
>
> I'm working on patches to add support for multiple frontends on a single
> adapter, in effect /dev/dvb/adapter0/fe{0,1,...} etc. A single transport
> bus service different types of demodulators.
>

> Now that the background is out of the way, how will VDR deal with a
> simple single PCI board with this configuration?
> /dev/dvb/adapter0/fe0 (dvb-t demod)
> /dev/dvb/adapter0/fe1 (dvb-s demod)
> <other regular dvb files here>
>
> .... where attempts to open multiple frontends will result in one of the
> open calls resulting in -EBUSY.

If I remind well there was a discussion about handling multiple frontends
on the DVB-ML. The result was to provide two complete DVB-frontends
sharing code and ressources, but no subdevices as this would break
compatibility and increase complexibility in handling frondends.

Are you going to add support for the Pinnacle Dual DVB-S cards, too?

Renne