[vdr] Re: [ANNOUNCE] VDRAdmin-AM-3.4.7

Udo Richter udo_richter at gmx.de
Wed Oct 11 15:52:19 CEST 2006

Andreas Mair wrote:
> that's a known issue with Internet Explorer. I don't know how to fix this
> correctly. Other browsers (FireFox, Opera, Konqueror) do fine.
> You can take a look at contrib/user.css_example to find a workaround or use
> another browser ;)

Thats one of the flaws of the IE layout engine. The page has automatic
scrollbars in the frame that appear as soon as the content is longer
than the browser window. The IE engine is not able to re-layout the page
if the vertical scrollbar pops up. Since the vertical scroller needs
some space, the frame gets smaller. Instead of re-flowing the content to
the new width, IE just adds a horizontal scroller.

(Ever wondered why the IE main window vertical scroller (on no-frames
pages) never hides, but gets disabled when not needed? Thats why.)

One workaround is to enforce the vertical scroller to be always visible.
That way, the scroller space is static and will be taken into account.

Change the content frame to this:

Then add this to style.css:
   * html.scroller {
       overflow-y:scroll;
   }

The * html is a browser switch that will limit this ugly hack to IE
browsers only.

Cheers,

Udo