[vdr] VDR deletes directories

Johannes Schoeller schoeller at izeman.net
Sat Oct 14 09:11:07 CEST 2006

Reinhard Walter Buchner wrote:
> Hi Udo,
>> Reinhard Walter Buchner wrote:
>>> I have the same problem (still using an older version of VDR, tho).
>>> VDR does delete the contents of the directory, but it doesn't
>>> always delete the primary directory below 'video'. In your example
>>> you (or in my case me ;o)) still have
>>> /video/nano/Die_Welt_von_morgen/
>>> (being empty) left over.
>> If it happens next time, check:
>> - Owning user and group of the folder
>> - File permissions
>> - User account that runs VDR
>> Most times when I notice that folder deleting didn't work, it was
>> because the files/folders accidentally had wrong permissions or owners.
> I run VDR as root (the only account on the machine) and VDR
> created the folders, so this shouldn't be a problem, but I'll have
> a look at the folder's owners & permissions.

it's SO good to hear that i'm not alone with that 'problem'. in the
#vdrportal irc noone had that problem.

i have video[0123] nfs-mounted. vdr runs as root. vdr creates all these
directories and this is what syslog says:

Oct 10 00:10:02 vdr vdr: [3933] remove deleted recordings thread started
(pid=3933, tid=3933)
Oct 10 00:10:02 vdr vdr: [3933] removing recording
Oct 10 00:11:47 vdr vdr: [3933] remove deleted recordings thread ended
(pid=3933, tid=3933)

and guess what: this empty recording is still there. (using only 4k - so
it's no big deal ;)

root at vdr:/video0/Andromeda/S04E15_Die_letzte_Fahrt_ins_Nichts# ls -la
total 4
drwxrwxrwx  2 root root    6 Oct  9 23:30 .
drwxrwxrwx 48 root root 4096 Aug  3 20:57 ..

additional information can be found here:

regards hannes