[vdr] VDR and Samba charset conversion

Rene Bartsch ML at Bartschnet.de
Thu Oct 19 19:20:35 CEST 2006


Hi,

I'm struggling with charset conversion using Samba and VDR.

The Samba server is version 3.0.22 (on Gentoo).

Locales are:

   GDM_LANG=en_US.utf8
   LANG=en_US.utf8
   LANGUAGE=en_US.utf8
   LC_ADDRESS=en_US.utf8
   LC_ALL=en_US.utf8
   LC_COLLATE=en_US.utf8
   LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8
   LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.utf8
   LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.utf8
   LC_MESSAGES=en_US.utf8
   LC_MONETARY=en_US.utf8
   LC_NAME=en_US.utf8
   LC_NUMERIC=en_US.utf8
   LC_PAPER=en_US.utf8
   LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.utf8
   LC_TIME=en_US.utf8

In smb.conf I've added

  dos charset          = UTF8
  unix charset         = UTF8
  display charset      = UTF8

The Samba server should work with all NT4/XP-based based Windoze clients,
MacOS 10.x- and Linux clients using de_DE.utf8 charset.

The Problem is the VDR-Box. It's the Minidvblinux distribution with
samba-client-2.2.3a-1. As there are no environment variables for charset I
assume it uses standard POSIX/C. I've tried different iocharset and
codepage options for smbmount on the MLD-VDR box, but still get weird
chars.

Thanx for any hint how to configure Samba/smbmount

Renne





More information about the vdr mailing list