Switch box (was: Re: [vdr] Doubling my available VDR disk space without cost or loss of convenience.)

Rainer Zocholl UseNet-Posting-Nospam-74308- at zocki.toppoint.de
Wed Sep 13 21:11:00 CEST 2006

egalus at gmx.de(Norbert Goebel)  13.09.06 18:21

>Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
>>
>> Not excatly.
>>
>> I would call it "semy-online"-storage.
>>
>> Normaly the HDDs are switched off.
>> But as they are connected to USB-Power-Switches they can be switched
>> on/off automatically by the computer.(*)
>>

>Hi,

>I just got interested when I read USB-Power-Switches and the
>possibility to switch on/off the hdds automatically by the computer.
>As a quick google search only showed rubbish on the first 3 pages
>searching for usb power switches it would be nice if you could post
>some links to such products.

Those devices are relatively expensive.
Typically 50E per Plug.

I found that "combo" USB Devices with firewire and USB
often allows "spindown" using sdparm.
(If found *no* USB-Only 3,5 external case which supports spin down!)

If you insist on a power switch try:

http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/projekte/netz-schalter/

Too you will find such devices at lindy

http://www.heise.de/kiosk/archiv/ct/2002/17/84

Cheaper would be bying RF/IR-remote switches like Aldi offen for
15 Euro for 4(!) and modding the transmitter to be used by a PC.
Or simly move to the USA. There energy is so cheap (thank to brain dead
George Warmonger Bush) it would make no ense to waste time in
optiimize power consumption...

Rainer