[vdr] improving i18n-to-gettext.pl

Matthias Schwarzott zzam at gentoo.org
Wed Aug 15 14:02:01 CEST 2007

On Mittwoch, 15. August 2007, Matthias Fechner wrote:
> Hi Matthias,
>
> Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
> > General question: Why is the locale dir called de_DE and not just de - as
> > that seems what most other programs on my system do?
>
> because German is spoken in more then one country: de_DE, de_AT and I
> think de_CH and more. I havn't not list with all locales here now.

Yeah, german is spoken in other countries. Is there then a reason to restrict
the translation to germany?

some example:
wget installs the file /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/wget.mo
this is to provide translations for "all" de* locales. Not just the german
one, but also for austria and swiss.

Matthias

--
Matthias Schwarzott (zzam)