Anssi Hannula anssi.hannula at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 11:38:53 CEST 2007

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> On 08/18/07 10:32, Anssi Hannula wrote:
>> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>>> I thought that the language codes should always all be there,
>>> to allow selecting other preferred languages, even if there
>>> is no locale installed. But maybe I'm mistaken there.
>> Well, having those in the OSD language selection menu seems strange, if
>> only two of those actually work, and others do not show up correctly
>> ("deu,ger").
>> But indeed, the Audio and EPG language selection menus seem to use the
>> same list. IMHO the Audio and EPG languages should use a separate list,
>> that contains all the language names in the currently selected OSD language.
> That would mean that every *.po file would have to contain the name
> of every other language, and for every new language that's added, all
> other *.po files would have to be extended.

Then they will be extended, I don't see the problem here.

 > Besides, if a user can't
> read a language name in the language's own writing, he/she probably
> won't understand that langauge, anyway ;-).

A good point. :)
However, most languages are currently shown as language codes, not in
the language's own writing.

>>> Please try disabling the code after
>>>   // Prepare any known language codes for which there was no locale:
>>> in i18n.c and see whether that would do what you expect.
>> Yes, the languages that have no "locales-XX" package installed on my
>> system do not show up in the OSD language selection list anymore.
>> However, I cannot select them as EPG nor Audio language either, which
>> should still be possible.
> Please try the attached patch.
> It changes the "Setup/OSD/Language" menu to only show the languages
> that actually have a locale. Any other language menus display language
> names if present, three letter language codes otherwise.

Seems to work. However, I don't like the fact that only few languages
are shown by their name, while others have only the language codes.
Before they were all shown by their name.

Anssi Hannula