[vdr] Capabilities

Patrick Cernko errror at errror.org
Sun Feb 18 19:10:58 CET 2007

Bernd Juraschek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've problems with my statusleds plugin. If vdr is not running as root
> all capabilities are dropped - except the one for setting the system
> time.
>
> My plugin wants to set the keyboard leds with the ioctl KDSETLED on
> /dev/console. Unfortunately this ioctl requires one more capability.
>
> Is there any way to get this capability? Should we extend the plugin
> interface with a possibility for the plugins to specify needed caps?

Why not simply document this fact in the installation guide:
"The plugin must have write access to /dev/console."
This is similar to the dvd or vcd plugin which need read/write access to
/dev/dvd resp. /dev/cdrom.

On my machine, I added the vdr user to the cdrom group. For
/dev/console, this might be a bit trickier: I would have to add vdr to
group tty AND give /dev/console rw-permissions for the group, but that
should suffice.

I don't know much about linux capabilities, but my feeling is, that they
are meant for things not represented by devices (which use the simpler
file-permissions model).

Just my 2 cents,
--
Patrick Cernko | mailto:errror at errror.org | http://www.errror.org

"Wer HTML postet oder gepostetes HTML quotet oder sich gepostetes oder
gequotetes HTML beschafft, um es in Verkehr zu bringen, wird geplonkt."
(anonym)