Matthias Schniedermeyer ms at citd.de
Mon Jan 15 18:16:44 CET 2007

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Heikki Manninen wrote:
>>On su, 2007-01-14 at 14:48 +0100, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>>>Your CAM doesn't respond to the QUERY that VDR sends to it.
>>>So VDR can't ask the CAM whether it is able to decrypt a certain
>>>channel (in addition to others it is already decrypting).
>>>So it's a hard-/firmware restriction of your CAM.
>>>The only CAM I have here that actually can decrypt more than one
>>>channel is the Alphacrypt with firmware revision 3.09.
>>Conax 4.00e is able to decrypt 2-3 channels at the same time. Although
>>when used with VDR 1.5.0 it is not. Also when using previous versions of
> If the CAM doesn't respond to a QUERY, then how is VDR supposed to
> know whether it can decrypt more than one channel at a time?

I think i can say with resonable confidence that most VDR-Systems don't
change at a regular basis, but stay unchanged (more or less) for
sometimes years(*).

So why not make a "probe capabilities" function (where you could also
probe "unsafe" things, with a bit of user interaction(*2)) and then
store the information away in a config-file.

The next time the system has significant changes you can probe again.

My first VDR-machine is for e.g. practically unchanged (hardware-wise)
since i build it sometime near end of 2000(!).

Ever installed Windows?
I've seen: "The screen may go blank and the computer can freeze", or
something in the same sense.

Bis denn