[vdr] Configuring vdr-sxfe to use a single vdr backend for recordings/dvb cards

Andrew Herron totallymaxed at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 15:15:53 CEST 2007

On 6/9/07, Petri Hintukainen <phintuka at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 18:15 +0100, Andrew Herron wrote:
> > I have several networked vdr machines that i want to use to connect
> > back to the 'server' vdr machine. The networked vdr machines will have
> > no dvb cards (they will all be located at the vdr server). How do i
> > configure my vdr client machines to connect back to the server vdr
> > machine and use its dvb cards/recording storage etc?
> >
> > Can anyone give some guidance on this type of setup or point me at a
> > url where I can find out about such a config?
>
> If you don't watch different recordings / channels at the same time you
> can just run vdr-sxfe at each client and connect to the single VDR
> server. You'll get same video + OSD mirrored to all locations.
>
> But, if you need to have independently controlled clients with own video
> and OSD, you need to run several instances of VDR - it doesn't matter if
> you run all VDR instances on server or at each client. I run several VDR
> instances on the server:
> - less maintenance, only one installation of VDR and
>    plugins required
> - allows using diskless clients (and with less memory)
> - Faster cutting / DVD burning / ... as there is no
>    network between VDR and disks
> - no need to export/mount /video to every client
> - ...
>
> Here's how I do it:
>
> master VDR: DVB cards, recordings, server for client 1:
>     vdr -c /etc/vdr \
>         -P"xineliboutput --local=none --remote=37890" \
>         -Pstreamdev-server
> server for client 2:
>     vdr -c /etc/vdr2 \
>         -D 10 \
>         -P"xineliboutput --local=none --remote=37892" \
>         -Pstreamdev-client
> server for client 3:
>     vdr -c /etc/vdr3 \
>         -D 10 \
>         -P"xineliboutput --local=none --remote=37894" \
>         -Pstreamdev-client
>
> + other options / plugins you normally use.
>
> Using -D 10 option for client VDR instances "forces" all DVB cards for
> master VDR. Streamdev plugin is used to provide live view for client
> VDR's, it is not required to just watch recordings.
> You must use separate configuration directory for each VDR (-c option).
> Without it you'll most likely break all recordings (all VDRs record all
> timers in paraller to same recording directory).
>
> And at clients:
>   Client 1:
>     vdr-sxfe
>   Client 2:
>     vdr-sxfe xvdr://<server ip>:37892
>   Client 3:
>     vdr-sxfe xvdr://<server ip>:37894
>
> If you use RTP between vdr and vdr-sxfe, using separate RTP address or
> port for each xineliboutput server instance might be good idea.
>
> Also it might be good idea to disable recording at all but the "master"
> vdr. Recording the same timer on two VDR instances will most likely
> corrupt whole recording. Besides that, doing all recordings directly
> [...]

Hi Petri,

I have few questions after testing your suggestions above to achieve
independently controlled clients with their own video
and OSD;

I would like all recordings to be managed/controlled by the master vdr as
this would seem to be the best solution. However if I have say a single twin
tuner DVB-T card and the master vdr is controlling all recordings is it
still possible for the remote clients to schedule a recording via the master
vdr if the timersync plugin is used? I think that you are saying this is
possible... which is great!

I have created separate /etc/vdr2 & /etc/vdr3 directories by copying
/etc/vdr Will this work ok? As both /etc/vdr3 & /etc/vdr3 are exact copies
of /etc/vdr without any changes in the conf files etc. Is this what you
meant or do i need to make any changes in /etc/vdr3 & /etc/vdr3 ?

Cheers

Andrew