Anssi Hannula anssi.hannula at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 17:53:43 CEST 2007

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> - Implemented support for Freetype fonts (based on a patch from Alexander Riedel).
>   The font names and sizes can be adjusted in the "Setup/OSD" menu.
>   Note that VDR now requires freetype fonts to be installed in
>   /usr/share/fonts/truetype.

In my system there is no /usr/share/fonts/truetype, but the TTF fonts
reside in other subdirectories under /usr/share/fonts.

+  strcpy(FontOsd, "arialbd.ttf");
+  strcpy(FontSml, "arial.ttf");
+  strcpy(FontFix, "courbd.ttf");

I'd use some free-as-in-freedom font (Vera?) by default, that are more
likely installed in systems.

Alternatively, you could use the fontconfig library [1] for managing
fonts. This would also allow using using the system default fonts via
aliases like 'sans-serif' etc, and using a font list instead of having
to manually write the font filename via OSD.

You can get a quick idea from looking at the patch which added
fontconfig support for mplayer [2], though of course you should look in
fontconfig documentation instead of copying conventions from mplayer :)

[1] http://fontconfig.org/
[2]
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2003-November/022218.html

--