[vdr] vdr-1.5.3 - LANG="de_DE at euro" not recognized

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Sun Jun 10 23:36:09 CEST 2007

On 06/10/07 22:22, Anssi Hannula wrote:
> Joachim Wilke wrote:
>> Hi everbody,
>>
>> in my system the LANG environment is set to "de_DE at euro". VDR did not
>> recognize this character set. After I changed LANG to
>> "de_DE.iso-8859-15" umlauts are correctly displayed e.g.in the EPG
>> data. But I still get the following error in syslog: "codeset is
>> 'ISO-8859-15' - unknown". What's wrong here?

I coded this in libsi/si.c as ISO8859-15 (without the first '-').
I guess we can change this to ISO-8859-15 just as well. Please try
it and let me know if that fixes it.

>> I had a look into vdr.c and found out, that the dot is used delimiter
>> between language and codeset - as "de_DE at euro" does not contain any
>> dot, vdr fails to recognize this. Is "de_DE at euro" an invalid value for
>> this variable?
>
> It is not. "locale -a" prints all the installed locales, and any of
> those values is valid for you to use.
>
> I didn't find any info via quick search, but I believe that instead of
> parsing the localename, VDR should use some external function to get the
> language/charset of the current locale.

There's getenv("LANG"), setlocale(LC_CTYPE, ""), and Thomas Günther
recently suggested in a PM to use nl_langinfo(CODESET). Quite a few
options - which one is the right one? ;-)

Somebody with insight please advise exactly how to do this - I personally
just set LANG to de_DE.iso8859-1 and live happily ever after ;-)

Klaus