[vdr] Freeview Playback

Dave P vdr at pickles.me.uk
Tue Jun 12 18:09:41 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 12 Jun 2007, Alex Stansfield wrote:
> Hi,
> with the launch of Freeview Playback in the UK, I was wondering if
> anyone here knew how the series links were sent to the dvb box.
> Freeview Playback is a system by which series link information is sent
> to the dvb box, allowing someone to select to record a whole series.
> Some sort of link information is sent, I guess in the epg, about each
> episode so that the dvb box can be sure it's always recording unique
> episodes of a series.
> I thought that support for Freeview Playback would be an excellent
> addition to plugins like epgsearch.
> If anyone knows any more about how the system works or has the DTG
> specification (can't see it on their website) please let me know.

The EPG format is covered by this document (which I think is the latest

so presumably the data fits in to the specification somehow. I looked
through this and also checked the broadcast data with dvbsnoop last
weekend but couldn't see anything obvious. Maybe no-one is broadcasting
the links yet.

It would certainly be an excellent addition to VDR.