[vdr] VDR 1.5.3: UTF-8 vs. ExchangeChars()

Marius Heidenstecker marius at heidenstecker.de
Wed Jun 13 11:23:06 CEST 2007

Am Dienstag, 12. Juni 2007 23:51 schrieb Klaus Schmidinger:
> On 06/12/07 23:09, Oleg Roitburd wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 17:46 +0200, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> >> The function ExchangeChars() in VDR/recording.c converts characters
> >> that can't be used in file names on Windows to "#XX", where XX is
> >> the hex code of the character.
> >
> > Sorry ... I don't understand and can't find any sence.
> > If you export  for window, you make this with SAMBA. And you can
> > configure share with UTF-8
> > man smb.conf
> > -------------------------
> > unix charset (G)
> >        Specifies the charset the unix machine Samba runs on uses. Samba
> >        needs to know this in order to be able to convert  text  to  the
> >        charsets other SMB clients use.
> >
> >        This  is  also  the charset Samba will use when specifying argu�
> >        ments to scripts that it invokes.
> >
> >        Default: unix charset = UTF8

> > you can drop VFAT part
> >
> > Regards
> > Oleg Roitburd
>
> Well, that would be the optimal solution :-)
>
> Any objections?
>
> Klaus

I do use a FAT32 external USB-HDD on which I store VDR-recordings with the
VFAT-option enabled. That way I can take VDR-recordings on that HDD to
friends' Windows boxes and watch it there with VLC for example. So I'd like
to keep it. Or is there a way to avoid that problem by, for example, taking
different mount options on FAT32-file system?

DMH