[vdr] future VDR and Net??eiver OEM from Reelmultimedia

Jeremy Jones mr.lebowski at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 17:21:45 CEST 2007

On 6/29/07, Torgeir Veimo <torgeir at pobox.com> wrote:

> On 29 Jun 2007, at 10:35, Georg Acher wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 10:45:12PM -0700, Jeremy Jones wrote:
>
> Is there any information regarding availability or pricing on the HDTV PCI
> card ?  I have been waiting a long time for an HD MPEG-2/4 decoder with
> HDMI
> and this sounds promising :-)
>

> Availability not earlier than August/September, the price isn't fixed yet.
>

> There is other hardware that does mpeg2/4/h.264 decoding, the lacking
> piece is always proper open source drivers.

Do you have any links/info for such cards ?

Will this hardware have open source drivers / open specifications?

I checked out the latest Reelbox testing svn code and browsed the code to
see if it supports this device.  I didn't look too thoroughly but it appears
the reelbox-0.9.0 plugin does support it.  It looks like communication to
the kernel space driver is done through shared memory and I did see some
kernel space code to create this shared memory device (/dev/hdshmem).  I'm
sure there is a closed source firmware or kernel module that is also used
but since Reelbox is based on vdr this shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Brian