[vdr] Wakeup On LAN

Steffen Barszus st_barszus at gmx.de
Sun Mar 4 22:00:40 CET 2007

Bernd Juraschek schrieb:

>>Now I've patched my kernel with suspend2. Now after hibernating to
>>suspend-to-ram or ACPI S4 WOL is working perfectly. Hibernating to
>>the poweroff mode disables WOL again. Is WOL never possible if the
>>PC is soft powered off?
>After powering off the PC per long-pressing the power button WOL works
>perfectly. The normal shutdown seems to disable wakeup :-(
You might want to try google ;) Assuming from your mail that you speak
german also (even if not, it should give you pointers), this might help:

Looks like the key points are:
- you need to switch on WOL on the network card with ethtool (most
probably everytime you shut down. (On Gentoo according to the Howto:
Edit /etc/conf.d/local.stop like below:

# /etc/conf.d/local.stop

# This is a good place to unload any misc.
# programs you started above.
# For example, if you are using OSS and have
# "/usr/local/bin/soundon" above, put
# "/usr/local/bin/soundoff" here.
/usr/sbin/ethtool -s eth0 wol g

- you need to make sure the net interface is not switched off during
shutdown. (On Gentoo :

You have to edit /etc/conf.d/rc like below:

# RC_DOWN_INTERFACE allows you to specify if RC will bring the interface
# compeletly down when it stops. The default is yes, but there are some
# instances where you may not want this to happen such as using Wake On LAN.

Looks reasonable from what ihave read until now :)

BTW: Thats the search i have done http://www.google.de/search?q=wake+on+lan+gentoo&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&meta=lr%3Dlang_de&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:de:official