[vdr] Vdr or driver performance dropout

Kartsa kari at kniivila.com
Sun Mar 11 20:25:26 CET 2007

Steffen Barszus kirjoitti:
> Kartsa schrieb:
>
>> Stefan Huelswitt kirjoitti:

>>> I don't think that the problem is related to anything on VDR
>>> side.
>>>
>>> AFAIK the bandwidth from ARM to PCI bus is very limited on
>>> full-featured cards. With 3 recordings being transfered to VDR
>>> there is simply not enough bandwidth left for the OSD transfers.
>>> Hence the LoadBitmap timeout.
>>>
>>> I experience the problem since VDR introduced concurrent
>>> recordings and I cannot believe that there is any VDR / firmware
>>> combination which doesn't show this behaviour as it's IMO a
>>> hardware limitation.
>>>
>>> Budget cards doesn't have this limitation, they can transfer the
>>> full transponder without problems.
>>>

>> I know the performance was better when I was using vdr-1.3.22. I know
>> I had 9 recordings going on and still I was able to watch a previous
>> recording and I was using a slower cpu and a ff card. Ofcourse my
>> recent test does prove your point, hence the question "what is the
>> best combination of hw and sw?".
>>
> Guess the best would be if you could/would be able to limit the
> possible number of recordings on a single card (or one would be able
> to set a limit for FF Cards or a fixed limit would be set in VDR at
> compile time) Then you could have a combination of FF and budget cards
> like most here have most likely.
I too have one FF and one budget card and I occasionally do stumble in a
situation when there is three or more recordings. And I am pretty sure
they are not all from the same mux thus they are from two dvb cards. And
btw I actually need to record from two muxes only and wrom fta channels
only. And this is the reason why I have vdr with two cards in the first
place.

But as it is there is a problem and as I said it does not seem to exist
in an environment with something else giving the video out than FF card.
Therefore the question still remains.

\\Kartsa