[vdr] vdr-1.5.10, dxr3 and subtitles

Ville Aakko ville.aakko at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 12:43:52 CET 2007

2007/11/3, Klaus Schmidinger <Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de>:

> VDR reduces the colors if the output device can't display all of them.
>
> Maybe the dxr3 device doesn't correctly respond to the CanHandleAreas()
> call?
>
> See cDvbSubtitleConverter::FinishPage(), the calls to sr->ReduceBpp()
> and sr->ShrinkBpp().

Yes, I think you are probably right. I looked at the code and modified
it so that bpp ís always reduced to 2 (I think) - hack included. I'm
not a programmer and know nothing about C++, really. But it works for
me (kind of - see below). Of course, this is not a proper fix.

But, I think from previous the discussion here, that the color depth
dxr3 can handle isn't that straightforward for. It can handle 8bpp but
in a limited way; so just reducing bpp would not use the dxr3 hardware
to the full potential. Some additional checking and processing is
needed? Though I'm just an end user really, I don't know really, I'm
kind of guessing =). Anyways, the subtitles look really good even with
2bpp, so in this case I think just reducing is sufficient.

There's still problem even after reducing the bpp; I think the OSD
levels isn't properly implemented in the CVS (dxr3-0-2 branch). I'll
post about this in the dxr3plugin-users list. (Symptoms: No other OSD
is shown while subtitles are shown, previous subtitles aren't
"cleared").

 - Ville

Ville Aakko - ville.aakko at gmail.com