[vdr] vdr-1.5.11 & subtitling problems

Reinhard Nissl rnissl at gmx.de
Sun Nov 18 20:40:19 CET 2007

Hi,

>> What are the problems you are seeing with cAudioRepacker enabled?
>
> The problems I have are that sometimes, the audio is not completely smooth,
> they have some breaks, in live radio.
>
>> Are there any problems when you replay a radio recording?
>
> The recordings play without problems.

This sounds like buffer underruns when listening to live radio. When
cAudioRepacker is enabled and with the recent ringbuffer patch, you'll
get each audio frame (~ 24 ms) as soon as it is available.

If the output device starts immediately with playback, it is likely that
there are buffer underruns, especially when xine drops some audio frames
when syncing.

I don't know whether xineliboutput has some setup options to control
buffering in live mode. In vdr-xine's setup page you can specify an
initial buffer size (e. g. 4 video frames ~ 160 ms) which must first be
established before replaying at normal speed starts.

BTW: The software decoding solutions need such a buffer to compensate
latency issues with the threads involved in the chain from input to output.

Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl
mailto:rnissl at gmx.de