[vdr] license handling of po files in plugins?

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Mon Sep 10 18:14:00 CEST 2007

On 09/06/07 13:41, Christian Wieninger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my current po files for epgsearch have the following headers due to
> script generation:
>
> # VDR plugin language source file.
> # Copyright (C) 2007 Klaus Schmidinger <kls at cadsoft.de>
> # This file is distributed under the same license as the VDR package.
> # Klaus Schmidinger <kls at cadsoft.de>, 2000
> #
> msgid ""
> msgstr ""
> "Project-Id-Version: VDR 1.5.7\n"
> "Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: <cwieninger at gmx.de>\n"
> "POT-Creation-Date: 2007-09-04 20:43+0200\n"
> "PO-Revision-Date: 2007-08-14 20:21+0200\n"
> "Last-Translator: Klaus Schmidinger <kls at cadsoft.de>\n"
> "Language-Team: <vdr at linuxtv.org>\n"
>
> How should this be handled? Is it correct that:
>
> "This file is distributed under the same license as the VDR package."?
>
> Should plugin writers insert their own name?

Take a look at the documentation that comes with gettext.
As far as I understand it, the translations should be distributed
under the same license as the surrounding package, to make it
easier for package maintainers.

The 'msgstr' strings from the original source (which form the
'msgid' strings in the *.po files) are (c) by the original
author, while the translations are (c) by the individual
translators, which are listed in the header of each *.po file.

In the *.po files of a plugin, the second line should contain
the name of the plugin author, not mine. If using i18n-to-gettext.pl,
you may want to adjust the "Plugin specific information" section.

> What about the "Project-Id-Version: VDR 1.5.7"?

Well, it's probably next to impossible to keep this up-to-date,
because at least I will most likely always forget to update it...

Klaus