[vdr] vdr memory leak when record noisy signal.

Reinhard Nissl rnissl at gmx.de
Mon Sep 10 22:43:45 CEST 2007

Hi,

Ali H.M. Hoseini wrote:

> I'm using kernel 2.6.20 with vdr-1.4.7 with streamdev plugin. When I'm
> record even more than 10 simultaneous video timers, the memory
> consumption is below 400 MBytes.
> But when any noise appears in the signal, the memory goes up to 1
> Gigabyte, the whole system memory, then system starts malfunctioning.
>
> Sometimes when I restart vdr, the memory frees, and sometimes I should
> restart the whole system to free up the memory.
>
> Where is the source of this memory leakage? Why the vdr doesn't free up
> memory when the noise goes out?

Try the following:
- compile VDR and plugins with no optimization (-O0) and debug
information (-g3)
- run VDR with valgrind

	valgrind --tool=memcheck /path/to/vdr

- analyze valgrind's output and report or fix any leaks.
- you won't find any noticeable leaks in case this issue is a matter of
the DVB drivers (kernel).

Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl