[vdr] VDR as a set top box

Simon Baxter linuxtv at nzbaxters.com
Sat Apr 5 22:05:43 CEST 2008

Hi group

My VDR box currently starts up like a regular Fedora Core user, auto-logs-in and starts xine - much like I expect most of you do.

I'm looking for a way to make all the X startup and log in invisible to the user.  This is where my knowledge of X and gnome falls down.

Ideally, once the initial kernel messages have completed I'd like a VDR splash screen (maybe even a progress bar) as things start up.

How do I do this?  I've been looking at modifying xinitrc and xinitrc-common to remove the desktop manager, but this seems a bit brutal.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks
Simon