[vdr] How can VDR record with timer if behind a decoder ?

vroemm vroemm at wanadoo.nl
Tue Apr 8 22:17:36 CEST 2008

Hi.

There is something i do not understand.
Here is how i though it works:

My TV provider, Casema in the netherlands, delivers digital TV via a decoder
with a sort of credit card.
Normally you use the remote control of this decoder to choose the tv prog to
watch.
Thus decoder sends only the selected digital channel to the DVB-C TV card in
the computer.
This was told to me by a sales person today.

If this is true, how then can VDR select the different digital programs with
the timers in VDR set by you ?
Then somehow all digital channels have to be send to the DVB-C TV card.

Or does VDR not work with decoders with such a credit card restriction ?

I hope someone can explain this to me.

If feel a bit stupid right now, i hope this falls under the saying "There are
no stupid questions" :-)