[vdr] How can VDR record with timer if behind a decoder ?

Michael Mauch michael.mauch at gmx.de
Wed Apr 9 00:24:13 CEST 2008

vroemm wrote:

> There is something i do not understand.
> Here is how i though it works:
>
> My TV provider, Casema in the netherlands, delivers digital TV via a decoder
> with a sort of credit card.
> Normally you use the remote control of this decoder to choose the tv prog to
> watch.
> Thus decoder sends only the selected digital channel to the DVB-C TV card in
> the computer.
> This was told to me by a sales person today.

I don't know the details in the Netherlands, but he was probably wrong.
You don't use the original decoder if you a DVB-C card.

You should get a DVB-C card with a CI and a CAM and put the smartcard
into the CAM - see
<http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Common_interface>.

Searching for "Casema DVB-C VDR", I also found
<http://groups.msn.com/CentrumVrienden/audiovideo.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=166&LastModified=4675596259283298739>.

That article is a bit old, perhaps you find a newer one if you use some
Dutch words in your search.

Regards...
                Michael