[vdr] xineliboutput: viewing 16:9 content on 4:3 output device

Malcolm Caldwell malcolm.caldwell at cdu.edu.au
Wed Apr 9 16:48:59 CEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 13:43 +0300, Petri Helin wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 9:43 AM, Jouni Karvo <Jouni.Karvo at iki.fi> wrote:
>
> >  Nevertheless, although probably most techies feel the crop mode is not
> >  interesting, perhaps you'll be able to find one that is willing to
> >  implement it - or perhaps you can DIY and share the code.
> >

> I think the idea of cropping material from aspect ratios 16:9 or
> 2.39:1 to 4:3 is not worth putting attention, because it will often
> result in quite awkward image. When done properly with technique
> called pan&scan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_and_scan) where the
> cropped selection can reside at any part of the original image, the
> result is bearable. But think about a movie shot and broadcasted in
> 2.39 and crudely cropped so that the 4:3 part in the middle is
> shown... You will see half heads, people talking to people not
> included in the picture and so on. Or think about a football match in
> 16:9 cropped to 4:3... with the ball in the portion left out.

However, often things just work out: the camera operators are sometimes
directed to shoot the full 16:9 frame but keep the action in a 4:3
frame.  This does happen, and IMHO makes for shots that seem too wide on
a 16:9 screen.  Production companies do this to maximise the market
potential for their material.  To use the football case: the
international feeds still need to deliver 4:3 images.  So the host
broadcaster who wants both a 16:9 version and a 4:3 version can either
employ twice as many camera operators and have twice as many cameras etc
etc OR shoot 16:9 but keep the action in the 4:3 frame.

Then there is 14:9 material.  This is shown on a 4:3 image with smaller
black bars, or cropped less (than 16:9) and shown full screen on a 4:3.

(I myself prefer the black bars on top and on bottom and view all 16:9
programmes that way on my 4:3 set)

(For movies the transfer to video can take more time: there pan&scan is
used, but so are other techniques including letterbox, image distortion
etc.  It is particularly noticeable at the end of a movie with credits
that use the whole 16:9 width)