[vdr] random freezes when using multiple vdr instances

Matthias Kortstiege kortstiege at uni-muenster.de
Wed Apr 30 09:24:50 CEST 2008

Hello,

since the upgrade to VDR version 1.6.0 the entire system will randomly
freeze when using multiple instances of VDR. This issue could be
reproduced by using the commandline switch -D to specify the DVB devices.

Unfortunately there are no logs which could identify the problem .. it
only freezes.

Example:
* vdr = "-D 0 -D 1"
* vdrdevel = "-D 2 -D 3"

I am running the very latest version from e-tobi (multipatch). vdrdevel
is the same version as vdr, but repacked by using the buildpackage
option SPECIAL_VDR_SUFFIX=devel. Using the older 1.5.13 setup with the
same hardware (4x cinergy c ~ mantis) is working like charm.

I don't think it is a driver / module problem, because running a single
VDR instance with all devices attached to it won't crash. But when
starting one instance which is only using two devices, the system will
freeze .. even if there's no other vdr process running.

Regards,
Matthias