[vdr] XBMC + VDR 1.7.0

Magnus Hörlin magnus at alefors.se
Fri Dec 12 11:41:46 CET 2008

> > That's what I have done. I've written a little script which is called
> > from the XBMC scripts section. It basicly starts vdr-sxfe and kills
> > xbmc. After exiting vdr-sxfe xbmc is started again. VDR is running in
> > the background connected with my server in the basement through
> > streamdev. This solution works very good for me.
>
> In the video, it looks like the the user is using a main menu entry,
> that why I wondered, because the XBMC VDR plugin does not seem to
> support OSD transmission.
>
> Joerg

I see no reason to use xbmc as vdr frontend. Personally I use lirc/irexec to
switch between vdr-sxfe and xbmc. The "DVD Player" button switches to xbmc,
and "Live TV" or "Recorded TV" for vdr-sxfe. As for startup times, my
clients use 28-30W and have no fans or hdd's so I have them on 24/7. At
least during Swedish winter a have use for them anyway...
/Magnus H