[vdr] VDR with S2API (update)

matthieu castet castet.matthieu at free.fr
Sun Dec 14 11:23:54 CET 2008

Hi,

Seppo Ingalsuo wrote:
> Clemens Kirchgatterer wrote:
>> vdr in a massive client server configuration is a giant hack with many
>> pieces each with its own little problems summing up.
>>

> Not giant system, but some experiences: I have one server running three
> instances of vdr. Vdr #2 and #3 are connected by streamdev to vdr #1
> that owns dvb hardware. Timersync plugin syncronizes timers to vdr #1.
> Three client PCs run just vdr-sxfe as explained in xinelibout's README file.
My experience with a vdr#1 on a box with a dvb-s FF and a dvb-t card.
And a vdr#2 connected via streamdev.

It works, but it's really an hack/mess and lack lot's of features :

- on my configuration the recording only work on vdr#1. on vdr#2 svdrp
should be used to control recording and ftp to read them (with a video
player)
- on my configuration some dvb-s and dvb-t channels are the same. If
vdr#1 is watching a channel on dvb-s (that is also on dvb-t), but vdr#2
want to use another transponder on dvb-s, the switch should be done by hand.
- I have got issue for some channels that are encrypted at some hours
and free at other hours
- IRRC nothing that stop the master (vdr#1) to powerdown (even if vdr#2
is in use). Nothing that allow vdr#2 to powerdown vdr#1 if nobody watch TV.
- no channel sync

I wanted to give a try to mythtv (or freevo) but neither of them doesn't
seem to support output on FF card.

Matthieu