[vdr] How to setup VDR to receive from multiple satellites?

Alex Betis alex.betis at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 22:39:05 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 11:10 PM, Artem Makhutov <artem at makhutov.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to setup VDR to receive from 2 different sattelites.
>
> Currently I have 3 DVB-S cards in my VDR box, and all are connected
> to a single dish pointing to astra 19.2E.

What LNBs do you have on those dishes? If all of them have single output
LNBs than you're probably causing problem.
All cards provide voltage/current for LNB to work, so now your LNB gets 3x
times more current than needed.
Also, I'm not sure what happen when one card tries to tune on vertical
transponder, while another will try to tune on horizontal transponder. One
of them will not succeed for sure.

> I have installed a second dish pointing to Sirius 4.8E and would like
> to connect this dish to VDR.
>
> Is it possible to connect one of the DVB-S cards directly to the
> second dish and setup VDR somehow to use this one DVB-S card only
> to receive channels from Sirius and not trying to use it to tune to
> Astra channels?

Don't know. I use Diseqc

> Later on I would like to install one Diseqc switch, so that one of
> the cards can switch between the two sattelites. Is this possible
> with only one Diseqc switch, or must I use 3 Diseqc switches and
> connect all of my DVB-S cards to the two dishes?

Normal installation would be to connect your 2 dishes (actually LNBs) to
diseqc inputs and feed disecq output to your card.
If you want to have more than 1 card to record multiple programs at the same
time, you'll need LNBs with multiple outputs where several diseqs should be
connected to outputs from different LNBs and outputs from every diseqc
should be connected to different cards.