[vdr] Straw poll: stable version 1.6.0 now?

Ville-Pekka Vainio vpivaini at cs.helsinki.fi
Sun Feb 3 12:27:48 CET 2008

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> On 02/03/08 11:43, Rolf Ahrenberg wrote:
> > No. The current features in 1.5.14 are still missing some essential key
> > features that should be included in the next stable version: DVB
> > subtitling (still missing component type support for the hard of
> > hearing), EBU subtitling, native channels.conf support for pseudo DVB
> > devices (pvrinput, iptv, analogtv), and multiple channel lists.
>
> I am not going to deal with these things before DVB-S2/H.264, anyway.
>
> Klaus

I've been using VDR for about a year and a half now and it's great. But with
all due respect, I think you're doing this the wrong way around. At least
here in Finland, decent DVB subtitles support is pretty much the only thing
VDR needs to be usable out-of-the-box with the free channels we have.

In my opinion DVB-S2/H.264 are "nice to have" extra features, but working DVB
subtitling support is a "must have" feature for PVR software like VDR,
because almost everyone needs DVB subtitles around here, but not that many
watch HDTV channels yet.

--
Ville-Pekka Vainio