[vdr] Straw poll: stable version 1.6.0 now?

Petri Helin phelin at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 3 12:48:33 CET 2008

Ville-Pekka Vainio wrote:
> In my opinion DVB-S2/H.264 are "nice to have" extra features, but working DVB
> subtitling support is a "must have" feature for PVR software like VDR,
> because almost everyone needs DVB subtitles around here, but not that many
> watch HDTV channels yet.

But the DVB subtitling is working, isn't it? At least i have not had any
problems with the incorporated solution for a long time. But I still
feel that the subtitling as such is not ready, because the functionality
of ttxtsubs plugin is not yet in the core. Most of the subscription
channels that I have/have had use only ttxtsubs (e.g. Canal+) and
therefore I am forced to still patch the core VDR to get ttxtsubs
working. In an ideal state no patches would be required :)

On the other hand.. h.264 is AFAIK coming popular with SDTV in DVB-T
also (Estonia, Norway, Slovenia) and therefore I feel that it should be
prioritized over any new subtitling solutions and once there is support
for h.264, a new stable release should be made.

-Petri