[vdr] HD-TV hardware decoding on motherboard instead of waiting for FF DVB-S2 card

Tony Grant tony at tgds.net
Wed Feb 6 12:40:36 CET 2008

Le mercredi 06 février 2008 à 09:58 +0000, Laz a écrit :

> I don't think MPEG4 decoding will be supported in this way for a very long
> time, unless Via have changed their attitudes. (Not really bothered
> looking into this because HD is years off in the UK where I am, unless
> you fork out lots to Sky!)

I'm not so sure. I don't think it will be years - maybe one and a half.

My question is "is HD worth all the fuss" - most run of the mill folk on
the street can't see the difference between DVD quality digital and HD.
Especially in high speed action scenes on current sized screens. And who
really wants to look at black spots on actresses noses in all that gory
detail? Or fat on their backsides for that matter.

HD needs to be shown at sizes where the extra pixels are worth our while
I don't have 3000€ to put into a screen.

Cheers

Tony