[vdr] [ANNOUNCE] improved LIRC remote for VDR-1.5.12

Reinhard Nissl rnissl at gmx.de
Wed Jan 9 00:44:11 CET 2008

Hi,

I was quite annoyed how I could operate my EPIA MII-6000E using a
LIRC remote. It was almost not possible to navigate through the
OSD in a fast way.

The attached patch allows now to define timeouts and frequencies
for example in Make.config, so there is no need to patch every
VDR version. Furthermore, frequencies are now defined in unit 1/s
instead of the unit ms (which defined the period), making values
more intuitive.

There's now an additional frequency which defines, how fast a
user is allowed to press the same button repeatedly. The
originally used REPEATDELAY allowed only 2.85 button presses per
second.

On slow and busy machines like my EPIA it happened often that
several button presses were read by VDR in a single read, but
only the first one got processed. The code now reads only a
single button press from LIRC's socket, so button presses don't
get lost (although presses of the same button will be skipped as
the timeouts don't get reached).

To make it less likely that button presses get processed in
chunks a further define allows to decrease the thread's niceness
which means to boost it's priority. This feature requires VDR to
be run as root.

This is my setup which follows some common settings found in
mainboard bioses for keyboard repeat delay and frequency.

> #vdr
> REMOTE=LIRC
> LIRC_PUSHFREQ=64 # 1/s
> LIRC_REPEATDELAY=250 # ms