[vdr] What is H264 Spatial Direct Mode?

Igor goga777 at bk.ru
Sat Jan 19 08:25:55 CET 2008

> > I see a lot of channels that are not supported in VDR because of
> > unsupported spatial direct mode in FFMPEG.
> >
> > This has probably been covered before (mostly in German!) but Reinhard
> > could you explain what is spatial direct mode and why is it currently
> > not covered in FFMPEG. Is it quite complex to code up? Do you know if
> > there are any plans to support it?
>
> I'm sorry, haven't read in the spec for this issue yet. But it
> looks like there is currently no one willing to implement it on
> ffmpeg-devel mailing list.

yes, exactly. Second bottleneck of Ffmpeg - the incomplete multithreading support for single slice coding video.

> Maybe Igor may post some links which enable xine-lib to use
> coreavc. Igor mentioned, that coreavc supports spatial direct mode.

yes, exactly
and the coreavc has full multithreading support, too.
So, I will try to prepare the summary from our VDR-Russian forum about coreavc for linux with xine
http://allrussian.info/thread.php?threadid=89361

Igor