[vdr] Encoding of SVDRP data?

Jan Ekholm jan.ekholm at smultron.net
Tue Jan 22 16:51:22 CET 2008

I have an app that retrieves EPG data via SVDRP, but the enconding (or
something related) is fubar and characters like åäö (å ä and
ö) are all wrong in the data I display. What is the encoding used for
the EPG data? I've tried forcing UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1 and whatnot and all I
get for those characters is garbage.

What should I really be trying to interpret the data as? My VDR system and the
desktop where I run my app use en_US.UTF-8 system but I assume the DVB
standard specifies something else for the data?

If I do a normal telnet connection to the SVDRP port and do some LSTE the data
is fine, the special characters stay special. PEBKAC, but where?

Best regards,
    Jan Ekholm

   Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
                                            -- Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms