[vdr] DVB-S card recommendation

hudo kkow 2manybills at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 02:26:44 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 12:12 AM, Tony Houghton <h at realh.co.uk> wrote:
> Is it OK to ask for card recommendations here or would it be better to
> ask in the DVB list? I want to build a new HTPC to watch "Freesat" and I
> don't know what DVB-S card to buy. They're actually a bit difficult to
> find, being a more obscure item in the UK than DVB-T receivers.
>
> Working properly with Linux is obviously essential, and I'd like it to
> be compatible with DVB-S2 if that's a question of hardware, not just
> drivers. Ideally I'd like PCI Express rather than plain old PCI, for
> future-proofing and so that I can use both of my old DVB-T cards as
> well, on a new mATX motherboard. Having a good remote control would be
> helpful too.
>
> I think I read that there are no Linux drivers for DVB cards with
> multiple tuners. Is that (still) true?
>
> --
> TH * http://www.realh.co.uk

Hi.
Well, that's like asking what's your favorite ice-cream. ;)
Everyone here as a preference. I for one like the Technotrend TT-3200.
It's DVB-S2 compliant and very popular among linux users. There are
others brands (like Hauppauge) and several models supported and
supporting DVB-S2.

Just take a look and read on this ML and dvb ML so that you can see
what to expect with a new dvb card. Read the topics, try to understand
pro's and con's on some brand/model. Finally, keep asking questions.
We'll answer the best we can.

Cheers