[vdr] DVB-S card recommendation

Tony Houghton h at realh.co.uk
Tue Nov 4 14:25:30 CET 2008

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 01:26:44 +0000
"hudo kkow" <2manybills at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 12:12 AM, Tony Houghton <h at realh.co.uk> wrote:
> > Is it OK to ask for card recommendations here or would it be better to
> > ask in the DVB list? I want to build a new HTPC to watch "Freesat" and I
> > don't know what DVB-S card to buy. They're actually a bit difficult to
> > find, being a more obscure item in the UK than DVB-T receivers.
> >
> > Working properly with Linux is obviously essential, and I'd like it to
> > be compatible with DVB-S2 if that's a question of hardware, not just
> > drivers. Ideally I'd like PCI Express rather than plain old PCI, for
> > future-proofing and so that I can use both of my old DVB-T cards as
> > well, on a new mATX motherboard. Having a good remote control would be
> > helpful too.
>
> Well, that's like asking what's your favorite ice-cream. ;)
> Everyone here as a preference. I for one like the Technotrend TT-3200.
> It's DVB-S2 compliant and very popular among linux users. There are
> others brands (like Hauppauge) and several models supported and
> supporting DVB-S2.

Thanks. I should have done more research before posting though; I found
that PCI-e isn't usable yet so I'll have to stick to PCI (or USB if I
desperately wanted to keep both old cards), at least initially. One
thing I still couldn't find out is what are the practical benefits to me
of DVB-S2? Is it necessary for BBC HD and/or ITV HD? If Freesat has no
plans to use DVB-S2 for a few years I think I might be better off to get
a used Hauppauge Nova S from eBay for £20 and hope that Linux supports
PCI-e cards one day.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk