[vdr] VDR on Fedora recommended window manager

Alex Betis alex.betis at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 08:40:23 CET 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 6:15 AM, Simon Baxter <linuxtv at nzbaxters.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm running VDR-1.6.0 and vdr-xine on my Fedora 6 box, and am moving into
> Fedora 9.
>
> I've always had problems with a lack of real understanding on window
> managers, so have put up with GDM under Fedora 6, but Fedora 9 has some
> real
> nasty "clever" stuff that just simply needs disabling.
>
> Can anyone suggest a howto, or can guide me on how to circumvent this
> entirely?  Basically I need to:
>
> 1) auto log into 'vdruser'
> 2) start xine
>
> That's it.  Everything else is done behind the scenes, and I can handle.
>
> Can anyone help?

I've moved from Fedora8 to Fedora10beta using GNOME 2 weeks ago, beside the
autologin that have to be configured in gdm config file instead of a menu
you probably used there is no much differences in the process. Search for
"gdm autologin" in google, I don't have access to my Linux machine right
now.
xine can be started from .bashrc

If you don't have a strong machine you should probably consider another
windows manager since GNOME and KDE are resource hungry.