[vdr] VDR -> S2API: 2 questions

Manu Abraham abraham.manu at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 17:41:43 CET 2008

Alex Betis wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 5:14 PM, Klaus Schmidinger <
> Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de> wrote:
>
>> Maybe I'm totally missing something here, but I can't figure out how
>> an application using the S2API driver can tell whether a DVB device is
>> DVB-S or DVB-S2. Can somebody please point me in the right direction here?
>>
> I run into the same question when made changes in scan-s2 application.
> The question I want to ask is why do you really need it?
> Even if the card is DVB-S2, you have to specify DVB-S delivery system when
> you intend to lock on DVB-S channel.
> I assume that specifying DVB-S2 delivery for DVB-S card should be rejected
> by the driver.
> So I don't see a real problem here. The application should follow the
> channels file, the "S0" or "S1" parameter that specify the delivery system.

Nah, there is an even larger problem: DVB-S2 implies a max Srate =
30MSPS and DVB-S implies max srate = 45MSPS. There are quite a load of
nasty quirks like that with the current API. Another one is that, the
user application will never know whether a tuning failed or not. Well,
most of those application developers did want those quirks and hence we
do have them.

Interesting, isn't it ?

Regards,
Manu