[vdr] New Video Decode and Presentation API from NVidia

VDR User user.vdr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 03:59:05 CET 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 9:46 AM, Nicolas Huillard <nicolas at huillard.net> wrote:
> It's still good news to know that open-source software allowing current
> fanless integrated motherboards to decode HDTV at ~10% CPU is on its way...
>
> Going from 87% of 2 cores, to ~10% of an entry level CPU is good,
> specially when the load is taken care of by existing chips.

Yes, I agree.  Just pointing out that you certainly do not need a quad
core, that's all.  Also, the price of the cpu is the same whether
you're using 87% or 10% of it. ;)  The point is you can already have
cheap HDTV without using the new Nvidia api.

> I'd like to have full-HDTV on a single x86 mini-ITX board. I'm now
> seeing this will happen soon enough, and I'll wait until then before I
> spend money on new hardware.

Yes it's nice!  My goal is diskless, fanless, low power consumption
dedicated HDTV box.  Very small, very low cost!