[vdr] xineliboutput sxfe / xxmc / via / EPIA ML6000 : great !

Frank Schmirler vdr at schmirler.de
Wed Nov 26 10:28:17 CET 2008

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 00:00:27 +0200 (EET), Mika Laitio wrote
> >> Suspend to RAM as always been a pain in my various trials, but this
> >> is a much simpler goal than a complete laptop. Virtually no device
> >> to take down/bring up on a pure streamdev client. NFS handles must
> >> just survive the long delay, but it should be OK.
> >
> > 7 seconds until I get a picture on my EPIA 6000. And this is still pretty
> > long, as I need to upload DXR3 firmware first, then start VDR.
> Nice...
> Are you using just a normal distro like rhat or ubuntu for
> getting this fast resume and does the system survive from multiple
> suspend/resumes without need for the coldboot?

My production VDR client is a busybox system living on a 32 MB CF card, EPIA
6000. Kernel, busybox and VDR are selfmade, other binaries are from Debian
(distro on my server). No need for reboots, no matter how often it is

My new HD extension client uses the same base, but this time PXE booting and
on an EPIA 10000. Unfortunately I haven't been able to resurrect the HD
extension after suspend/resume yet, but apart from that everything is fine.
Multiple no problem with multiple suspend/resumes, no problem with PXE booting
after setting the via_rhine module parameter.

I'm going to switch my DXR3 client to PXE booting, soon, but I'll keep the CF
card. My server isn't running 24/7 - would be idle most of the time - so my
clients needs to be able to wake it up with WOL. This is no problem when I
resume a client. But after a power failure, the client obviously cannot PXE
boot without the server. In this case the client is going to boot off the CF
card, wake up the server and reboot - now PXE is available.