[vdr] Freeview+ aka TV-Anytime Patch (updated)

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Mon Oct 6 11:11:26 CEST 2008

On 10/06/08 11:06, Laz wrote:
> On Monday 06 Oct 2008, Frank Scherthan wrote:
>> Laz schrieb:
>>> On another Freeview specific note, I'd love to have my channels
>>> renumbered to their "proper" Freeview numbers. At the moment, I have
>>> to go through and move them about by hand every time something
>>> changes! I don't think there is currently any support for assigning
>>> channels a specific number within vdr (probably not much point with
>>> gazillions of satellite channels but more useful with the handful of
>>> terrestrial Freeview ones in the UK).
>> man 5 vdr:
>> A group delimiter can also be used to just set the next channel’s
>> number, without an explicit delimiter text, as in
>>
>>        :@201
>
> That's what I mean by "doing it by hand"! My channels.conf is littered
> with those!
>
> ;)
>
> Would be nice if each channel entry had a field for channel number
> instead, especially when they helpfully decide to move a channel!
>
> It's also the way "real" set-top boxes do it. I think "scan" can output
> the channel numbers to a vdr-readable channels.conf but I think that just
> puts in a :@1, :@2, :@3, etc. every other line. Just doesn't seem neat to
> me, especially as the channel numbers are broadcast.
>
> I did start looking at this a while back but never got very far: might
> have another go...

I don't think it makes any sense to put actual channel numbers into
each channel's line in channels.conf. For one, what if different
providers want to use the same channel numbers? And: what if channels
are moved around, inserted or deleted?

The channel numbers are implicitly derived from the position of each
channel in the channels.conf file. Offsets can be suggested with :@nnn
lines, but are only hints and may be ignored if there are too many
channels before them to actually implement the desired numbers.

Klaus