[vdr] Problems building xine-lib on openSUSE 11.0 w/ gcc 4.3.1

Darren Salt linux at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 15 17:48:55 CEST 2008

I demand that Harald Milz may or may not have written...

> this seems to be a famous one, possibly a GCC bug according to some fora. I
> can't build vdr-xine-0.8.2 and the related xine-lib on openSUSE 11.0 with

> gcc version 4.3.1 20080507 (prerelease) [gcc-4_3-branch revision 135036]
> (SUSE Linux)

> - apparently an asm optimization thing:

[snip]
> dsputil_mmx.c:636: error: can't find a register in class ‘GENERAL_REGS’
while reloading ‘asm’
[snip]
> Is that a known problem, and does somebody have a patch curing this?

Known problem. Use newer xine-lib (if you're using what I think that you're
using, it's old and unsupported) and external ffmpeg.

(This particular problem, and the fact that gcc 4.3 can't seem to compile
that at all in PIC mode on i386, is what prompted a switch to external ffmpeg
by default.)

| + Travel less. Share transport more.           PRODUCE LESS CARBON DIOXIDE.

You hate mail.