[vdr] ITV HD

Gavin Hamill gdh at acentral.co.uk
Fri Oct 24 15:16:41 CEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 14:10 +0100, Tony Houghton wrote:
> I've read that ITV HD can only be viewd by pressing the red button on a
> Freesat receiver. Does this mean VDR can't access it?

It seems very unlikely. Red Button services merely act as a GUI frontend
to the raw streams.. e.g. the 'News Multiscreen' support on Freeview was
like for ages. There was a  MPEG2 stream on one of the BBC's muxes which
looked like this

----------------------------
|                          |
|               ########   |
| ###########   ########   |
| ###########   ########   |
| ###########              |
| ###########   ########   |
| ###########   ########   |
|               ########   |

Everything was black except for the # areas..

The BBC showed two News24 reels on the right, and BBC Parliament on the
left. If you had the correct Vid and Aud PIDs you could see this raw
feed. the 'Red Button' stuff just showed graphics to cover up the part
you shouldn't have been able to see :)

In short, no. Hidden PIDs can be easily found by analysing the bitrates
of each PID in a transport stream.

gdh