[vdr] VDR Development

Hans Werner HWerner4 at gmx.de
Sat Sep 6 17:40:34 CEST 2008

> On 09/06/08 16:34, Hans Werner wrote:
> > After 145 or so days without any release, there is a lot of code which
> > has been posted as patches implementing vital features (such as H.264)
> > which could immediately be merged in.
>
> If I'm not mistaken the currently available patch for H.264 is based on
> the PES recording format, which will be the next thing to vanish!
> That's why I'm currently working on switching to TS recording format.
> It just didn't make sense to me to introduce H.264 recording in PES format
> and *then* switch to TS...
>
> Klaus

Ok, I understand. Naturally there are often prerequisites which mean that a
particular patch cannot be immediately applied.

But your phrasing is quite telling: "*I'm* currently working on switching to TS".

I believe the TS recording story has been going on for some time.
You said the same thing on May 4 2008
http://linuxtv.org/pipermail/vdr/2008-May/016762.html

Here's a patch from December 2006 (perhaps there are problems with it, I don't know)
http://fepg.org/patches/vdr-1.4.0-ts-recording-0.0.3.diff

Here's a mention of the problem in 2004
http://linvdr.org/mailinglists/vdr/2004/05/msg00217.html

I find it hard to believe it is really difficult to fix. There are lots of other people who
could have helped crack the problem a long time ago. You do not need to do things
the hard way and do all the heavy lifting yourself. It has a real impact on people if
they can't use H.264 as a result.

So how about creating a repository and picking a few trusted lieutenants to help you
merge code?

Regards,
Hans

--