[vdr] Build plugin with different headers then in VDR distribution

Michael Stepanov michael at stepanoff.org
Mon Sep 8 08:16:08 CEST 2008

Thanks a lot, Clemens, for your reply. This is my mistake that I didn't
explain clearly what actually I need. I use LinuxMCE (http://linuxmce.com)
with integrated VDR 1.6.0. I have just VDR headers and binary. So, I can
easily build any plugins which have debian patch using dpkg-buildpackage. In
that case the plugins work fine. But for those which don't have that there
is an only one way to build them using common way - make plugins from the
VDR source directory. So, I think I can make a symlink to patched headers in
the $VDR_SORUCE/include/vdr and theoretically it should work.

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 1:18 AM, Clemens Kirchgatterer <clemens at 1541.org>wrote:

> "Michael Stepanov" <michael at stepanoff.org> wrote:
>
> > > what does "VDR distribution" mean? the vdr source code? what are you
> > > trying to achieve? i guess you have to download the "desired" vdr
> > > version, copy your plugins into its PLUGINS/src directory and
> > > compile them as usual.
>
> > Yes, I mean VDR sources. I understand how to build plugins using
> > headers from the VDR's sources. But in my case I have patched headers
> > only (source is not available yet - headers only).
>
> i don't see the point. if the header files are different in respect to
> ABI compatibillity (for example class member order, number of members
> or object size) then your plugins will not work anyway. if the headers
> are compatible, it does not matter which one you used to compile them.
>
> anyway, vdr and plugins must be compiled with "compatible" header
> files. this is what the APIVERSION is for. you could try to copy your
> patched headers over a fresh vdr source tree and compile it including
> your plugins.
>
> hope this helps ...
> clemens

Cheers,