[vdr] Best practices for running vdr-xine

Peter zelts at ruksis.com
Tue Apr 28 09:56:28 CEST 2009

I have a bit of a problem running xine frontend – it will not reconnect if vdr backend restarts. Also, my vdr can take 10-15secs just to start up, and xine frontend will bail out during that time, too. Since frontend is being run on unattended TV box (read: no keyboard) it is cumbersome to restart xine every time this happens.

Second problem: xine does not work with vdr mplayer plugin (mplayer cannot access X, hence no video). Are there any alternatives?

I wonder if there are any solutions for this? I’m back to using softdevice, but it does not compile with latest ffmpeg, plus segfaults every now and then.

Peter