[vdr] Best practices for running vdr-xine

VDR User user.vdr at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 16:12:43 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:56 AM, Peter <zelts at ruksis.com> wrote:
> I have a bit of a problem running xine frontend – it will not reconnect if
> vdr backend restarts. Also, my vdr can take 10-15secs just to start up, and
> xine frontend will bail out during that time, too. Since frontend is being
> run on unattended TV box (read: no keyboard) it is cumbersome to restart
> xine every time this happens.

In my tv script I do this before starting xine:
until [ -e "/tmp/vdr-xine/stream" ]; do sleep 1; done

This waits until vdr-xine has started before loading xine itself and
resolves the problem of delayed startups.

> Second problem: xine does not work with vdr mplayer plugin (mplayer cannot
> access X, hence no video). Are there any alternatives?

I'm using VDR-1.7.6 with xine-0.9.1 and the mplayer plugin just fine.
Maybe you're missing the required
mplayer.sh(.conf)?