[vdr] Best practices for running vdr-xine

Jan Ekholm jan.ekholm at smultron.net
Wed Apr 29 20:23:39 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 29 April 2009 17:47:46 Petri Helin wrote:

> You said earlier that you use HTTP to connect with your frontend. The
> xineliboutput README states the following:
> Using with other media players (mplayer, vlc, ...)
>    Primary device video and audio (without OSD or subtitles)
>    can be streamed from plugin control port to almost any media
>    player using http or rtsp.
> So, you might want to use a xine-based frontend (for example vdr-sxfe
> or xine-ui) with xvdr.

Oh, thanks for pointing that out, I'm such a n00b. I've read the README up and
down but happily read the part "without OSD" as "with OSD". Doh! Then it's
time to test vdr-sxfe and see how that fares. I wanted to keep the display in
the same process as the rest of my media frontend app, but controlling an
external process is no big hassle.

        Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind.
                                              -- Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man