[vdr] vdr-sxfe from background script

Alex Betis alex.betis at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 16:51:34 CET 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 5:42 PM, Stefan Ellenberger
<stefan_ell at hotmail.com>wrote:

>  I do have a similar solution to the one Ville used in KDE
>
> - set up a shell script
> - issue a killall -q -9 vdr-sxfe command first (if there is no vdr-sxfe
> task running this will be ignored)
> - call vdr-sxfe again

So you don't have a script that re-run vdr-sxfe in case it crashes?

> Looks like this:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> /usr/bin/killall -q -9 vdr-sxfe
> /usr/bin/vdr-sxfe --fullscreen --post volnorm --reconnect xvdr://localhost
>
> I do have to use sigterm (-9) paramter, because I do get tcp buffer
> overflows quite often. So the connection
> to vdr gets lost but the task itself keeps running and can't be terminated
> cleanly by sighub or sth similar.

Yeah, it happen pretty often for me as well. Any ideas how to improve that?
I have a channel with many audio tracks that cause the buffer to get filled
as well and drop frames.

> In addition to ~/.*config*/*autostart *I do place a softlink to this
> script in K-Menu > Favorites and assign a HOTKEY.
> So if I press this hotkey on my wireless keyboard the script gets
> restarted. Maybe there is a way to get kde-lirc working
> with this script as well so you have it on your remote? Might be tricky
> when you already have a lirc session assigned to
> vdr. I'd be interested in a solution to that.
>
> I'm pretty sure you can assign hotkeys in gnome as well, might be worth
> trying.

Thanks. I'll try to find something similar in gnome. I use remote, so I'm
not sure gnome will see the pressed keys as is.
irexec is probably the way to go.